Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kitchen adventures

This blog has typically about running and weight loss, but both of those things are fueled by good nutrition. So, I will be posting occasionally about food. Enjoy!

I am not really one for experimenting when it comes to cooking. I have certain things that I know how to make and family recipes that I have written down. The problem with some of the recipes I know and love is that they are not all that healthy. I decided last week to try out a healthier recipe for pasta salad via one of my favorite healthy eating blogs, SkinnyTaste.

The July Fourth holiday and the heat wave got me in the mood for food that was not hot! ;o) Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the pasta salad that I made but to the right is the pretty picture of what it should look like from skinnytaste.com!

I took the opportunity to try it out on my in-laws and I think it turned out pretty well. A serving is only supposed to be about 115 calories, so that sounded great to me.

I did make some adjustments to the recipe and have ideas for what I want to do next time. I bought all of the ingredients according to the recipe except I used rotini wheat pasta which we already had at the house. I think the wheat pasta worked great in it.

The recipe called for red wine vinegar, but I think next time I will use balsamic vinegar to add a little more of a punch to it. I always have that around (had to buy the red wine vinegar). And I think less mayo and more greek yogurt would taste just fine.

We had it as a side for pork, but I think it would great for a cookout as well. Leftovers were just as tasty - if not more - and I made it a whole meal out of it by adding a pouch of Starkist tuna one day for lunch.

I count this experiment a success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment