Friday, September 28, 2012

Overnight oats

Night before
 I have been following other healthy eating blogs over the last six months or so to get new food ideas and exercise motivation/tips. One thing I have seen in a couple of places (Fannetastic Food and Hungry Runner) is overnight oats. I was intrigued and finally decided to try it last week.

Overnight oats is basically oatmeal from scratch where you just mix it up the night before and put it in the fridge so the oats soak up the liquid. Some people just eat it cold the next morning, but that kind of weirds me out. So, I just heat it up in the microwave the next morning.

The key I have found is finding the right amount of liquid so it is the right consistency to your liking. I first did it with 1 cup of milk, but that was too much liquid and a little too milky. So I went with 1/2 cup soy milk and 1/4 cup water... pretty good. I have done this a couple times. I did make the mistake of doing it too early one night and the liquid had too much time to soak in (7-8 hours in the fridge is good).

The next morning!
I think it has turned out pretty well and without all the sugar that comes in instant oatmeal! I am looking forward to trying new combinations... the possibilities are endless!!

Here is what I have been doing:

1/2 cup of Silk's light vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup of rolled/quick oats
1/4 cup of water
1 ripe banana sliced
Healthy sprinkling of cinnamon
Little bit of nutmeg
1/8 cup of raisins
1 tsp. of vanilla extract

Microwave for about 2 minutes in the morning and done!

Does anyone else have any tips or other good overnight oat combos?

Beth :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment